Convert an Anchor Point
The pencil point is too sharp and scary for a cartoon effect. Let’s soften it.
- Use the Direct Selection tool (A) to select the path point at the very tip.
- Select the Add Anchor Point tool (+) and click to add two points on either side of the tip, a little ways up.
- Select the Convert Anchor Point tool which is in the flyout menu for the Pen tool (or press Shift+C).
- Click and drag on the tip point to convert the point to a curvy line. If you drag one way and the path seems to overlap itself, swing your direction around the other way.
- The tip looks a bit bulgy, so use the Direct select Tool to move it in a bit.
- Change the fill color of your pencil if you like. Add a stroke too.
And here’s what I get when I really exaggerate the lines: