I started this blog because Facebook status updates were just not enough to truly express the wonder and frustrations of life with baby. However, I thought this would be a good place to retrieve and more permanently capture those fleeting Facebook bites. Without further ado:
- Our 2-year anniversary is Monday. I should deliver the baby by then. Is that a sufficient gift to my husband?
June 3 at 1:39pm
- Last day before labor induction. Time to get my hair did!
June 4 at 12:27pm
- They started induction at about midnight or 1am last night. I guess I’m in early labor now. It’s very owie.
June 5 at 12:38pm
- 5 pm water broke, a lot of it, 4 cm dilated now.
June 5 at 5:25pm
- 6 cm dilated now, 10 pm
June 5 at 10:12pm
- Born 6-6-10 at 11:53am. 8.0 lbs. 21.5″
June 6 at 10:02pm
- Baby gave us a few scares, but all vital signs are strong like bull.
June 7 at 9:46pm
- Baby Theo went into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit late last night after 3 cyanotic episodes last night, and he had a fourth episode while being observed there. He’s also showing small signs of seizure activity. He’s being medicated to control the seizures, and being fed via IV, while we wait for lab results. If we’re lucky, it’s merely an infection and can be resolved with antibiotics. All his vital signs look very good up until he turns blue. Yes, we are very worried but staying optimistic. I will update when I know more and can find time to post it here.
June 8 at 8:41am
- Baby Theo looks great this morning except for some jaundice. His vital signs were strong all night long at the NICU. He is on Amplitude-integrated EEG (brain activity) monitoring now, and will also get an ultrasound of his brain. Blood cultures are showing no signs of infection. Vlady tells me that Theo recovered on his own from each of his turn-blue episodes. Hope this is all something that will clear up soon.
June 8 at 12:20pm
- Been visiting Theo in NICU every few hours for the past couple of days. I finally got to hold him this time! His head electrodes have been removed. He had a regular EEG done today. Still awaiting results on the head ultrasound and EEG. No alarming episodes since Monday. He’s so adorable—every day he looks more like his daddy. His ears are just like V’s, like tiny bites have been taken out of the top of each one.
June 9 at 2:06pm
- Theo’s NICU doctor gave him a clean bill of health yesterday morning and let us take him home! We had a very good night with him last night. I will get more pictures up soon.
June 12 at 12:55pm
- Taking a day off from visitors. Now there’s some time to get all these photos processed. Sure could use a nap, though! Tomorrow: Theo’s first pediatrician visit!
June 13 at 3:58pm
- How is it possible for an 8-pound human to create a full load of laundry each day?
June 14 at 8:28pm
- Nobody told me that after you give birth, your belly looks like…you ever seen a four-hundred pound person who lost two hundred pounds really fast?
June 14 at 10:56pm
- You know you’re a new parent when a shower and leg shave seems like an exotic retreat.
June 23 at 7:44pm
- Ladies who have breastfed: how long should a baby feed at each breast at one sitting? I’ve been doing 20 minutes at each (40 minutes total,) but maybe that’s too long/short?
June 24 at 12:45pm
- w00t! I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant. By like ten pounds or more.
June 26 at 11:04am
- What nobody tells you is that breastfeeding is really hard to keep up, every few hours, every single day. Really, really hard. By the way, Theo is officially three weeks old as of this moment.
June 27 at 11:53am
- Finally shampooed out the spit-up that was in my hair since yesterday.
June 28 at 11:29am
- After using Tommee Tippee bottles for the past week, I finally tried Avent instead. Oh my God. Our baby is a different person: he’s an angel. With the TT bottles, he was sputtering and choking, pushing the bottle out after 2 ounces but screaming for more food. Inconsolable for an hour or more. With Avent, he’s eating m…ore and so much happier. I can’t believe it.
June 29 at 6:52pm
- Theo’s four-week-old status update: starting to make sounds that must be the precursors to cooing and laughing. He loves this new toy—it evokes these sounds in him: Tiny Love Gymini Super Deluxe (but he gets overwhelmed after about 10 minutes.) Yesterday he hardly slept at all, and we hope he catches up today.
July 4 at 12:06pm
- Enduring my first day alone with the baby. V is back at work and T is often cranky.
July 6 at 1:19pm
- enjoyed baby’s first big day out—to the park at the state Capitol building. Theo seemed to enjoy much of it.
July 11 at 8:11pmRavenous kid. We don’t want to overfeed him, but it would be worse to underfeed him.
July 16 at 11:05am
- This week’s on-the-fly parent learning: Theo just won’t get enough sleep during the day unless swaddled between feedings. This is a life- (and sanity-)saver (thanks, dad and stepmom!): SwaddleMe
July 17 at 10:46am
- Theo is six weeks old today. He’s supposed to have outgrown all the crankiness now….right?
July 18 at 1:37pm
- Theo has already outgrown (in height) one of his 0-3 month sleeper outfits. Damn.
July 20 at 12:41pm
- Just back from my first Mommy & Me gathering. Observations to follow.
July 21 at 2:31pm
– One change of clothing is not enough in the diaper bag. For either the baby or me.
– Call me a horrible person, but a lot of other people’s babies look…weird.
– Theo is nearly 12 pounds already.
– We probably already need to graduate to size 2 diapers.
– Theo did remarkably well for a 5-hour outing.
– Murphy’s Law: the one time that your baby’s poop actually gets all over your own pants will be in front of a bunch of other people.
- Our sweet baby boy.
July 23 at 8:49am
- I weep with joy whenever my baby smiles at me. I had no idea that would be literal.
July 23 at 2:59pm
- I can hear my husband snoring through the baby monitor.
July 23 at 7:56pm
- Theo has new skills today. He can roll from his back to his side. He can suck on his fist. He can smile at strangers. He can do this new thing with his tongue that’s hard to describe: like he’s licking something invisible.
July 30 at 6:11pm
- My men.
July 31 at 12:19pm
- Baby Theo again…
July 31 at 5:31pm
- My first workout tonight in a very long time. Caesarians have an 8-week recovery time.
August 7 at 10:00pm
- As a new mommy, I am making an attempt to remove all cuss words from my vocabulary at all times. Even when telling the cat to be quiet the heck up.
August 10 at 6:41am
- Theo’s in the 95th percentile for height at 24½” inches long, and in the 90th percentile for weight at 13.5 lbs. His head’s tiny though (but within normal range): 36th percentile at 15½”.
August 10 at 7:06pm
- It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again. And damn, I now have a very soft and smooth baby boy.
August 13 at 9:17am
- We took the Pookitydookster to the zoo today. It turns out, a 10-week old can pay attention to an ostrich.
August 15 at 2:19pm
- is trying to figure out via Google why Theo only likes to look at the left-hand pages of a book. He will track that left page way over to the right of his body, and if you put the right page where he was looking at the left page, he will turn more left to try to find the left page. So odd. It’s not Torticollis.
August 21 at 12:42pm
– He’s finally looking at the right-hand side too now. (September 5 at 10:42pm)
- How long do teething pain episodes typically last? The poor boy has been at it for about two weeks, and it’s making him cranky during almost every waking hour (I assume it’s the teething doing that.)
August 21 at 7:30pm
- is dancing with the baby to KMFDM.
August 22 at 10:15am
– Now Tones on Tail.
– I hope it’s a few years before T realizes how dirty “Gett Off” by Prince is.
- how can a 2½-month-old hate sleep so much? He screams like bloody murder tonight. Today must have been a good day for him, because he hates for it to end.
August 22 at 9:05pm
- Holy jeepers! Theo slept through the night last night. He went to sleep at 10pm (finally,) and I had to wake him to nurse at 6am. He’s gone back to sleep now. Vlady’s response anytime there’s a new behavior like this: “I hope he’s not sick or somesing.”
August 24 at 6:51am
- Must be baby’s growth spurt. Slept the whole night and now he’s slept the whole afternoon too.
August 24 at 4:27pm
- Theo’s head has gotten visibly bigger around this week.
August 27 at 7:56pm
- Recorded this a few minutes ago. Now he’s fast asleep.
August 28 at 11:35am
- So riveting. It’s like watching a baby fall asleep.
August 28 at 11:35am
- Baby’s got his first cold. Poor little guy. At least he can sleep while somewhat upright in his swing.
August 29 at 11:54am
- I went to Toys R Us for a couple of items and came back with three bags full of baby clothes and accessories.
August 29 at 8:43pm
- Pretty sure I caught Theo’s cold. A hint of swollen throat at noon. Now I’m sneezing. Third symptom: accidentally entered this status update into the Search box at first.
August 31 at 2:04pm
- Baby’s asleep. I’m really hungry but I’m also really tired. Which do I take care of in the short time before he wakes again?
September 2 at 12:50pm
– Theo has suddenly answered the question for me: neither. (September 2 at 12:51pm)
- This morning’s music mix for baby includes traditional Hawaiian music and Lords of Acid.
September 3 at 9:56am
You are also welcome to check out Theo’s Facebook photo album.